The Driving Companion
Unit 3: Task 16 - Lane changing and diverging/merging
(a) The learner will be able to change lanes safely and competently to the right and to the left while complying with the 'System of Car Control'; and
(b) The learner will be able to diverge safely and competently to the left or right or merge with other traffic while complying with the 'System of Car Control'.
The learner will demonstrate compliance with road craft concepts at least 80% of the time (see pages 14-21) and compliance with the law over the complete assessment without assistance.
(a) Changing lanes procedure
- (a) Select a suitable location (not approaching traffic lights etc.);
- (a) Keep Accurately apply the 'System of Car Control' when changing from one lane to another (either left or right); and
- (a) Check the appropriate blind spot just before diverging to the new lane.
(b) Diverging or merging procedure
- (b) Ensure that there is no vehicle directly alongside (where possible keep the vehicle off-set to other vehicles alongside);
- (b) When merging or diverging by more than 1 metre or crossing a lane line, comply with the 'Lane Changing Procedure' (steps 1(a) to 3(a)) above and give way rules; and
- (b) When merging or diverging by less than 1 metre, or diverging over a long distance when passing parked vehicles on an unlaned road, comply with step 2(a) above except signals and blind spots may be omitted only if safe.