The Driving Companion
Unit 3: Task 20 - Negotiating traffic lights
(a+b) The learner will safely negotiate traffic lights (with and without arrows) by turning right, left and proceeding straight ahead while complying with all laws and 'System of Car Control'; and
(c) The learner will safely demonstrate turning left at slip lanes.
The learner will demonstrate compliance with road craft concepts at least 80% of the time (see pages 14-21) and compliance with the law during the assessment without assistance
(a) Turning left and right at traffic lights
- (a) Comply with the law for traffic light signals, associated stop lines, turning lines and arrows;
- (a) Enter and correctly position vehicle lawfully within the intersection when standing to give way to opposing traffic;
- (a) When turning right, keep the front wheels straight (where practicable) while waiting to give way to on-coming traffic; and
- (a) Comply with Tasks 17 and 18 requirements when turning.
(b) Following a straight course through traffic lights
- (b) Comply with the law for traffic light signals, associated stop lines and arrows;
- (b) Comply with 'System of Car Control' approaching lights; and
- (b) Apply correct stopping procedure (Task 4(a)) when required.
(c) Turning left through a slip lane
- (c) Comply with all 'Give Way', signalling and turning laws;
- (c) Comply with turning left requirements for Tasks 17 and 18 including safe speed of approach to the turn; and
- (c) Demonstrate appropriate and timely observation patterns, 'System of Car Control' and vehicle control.
Note - If intersections controlled by traffic lights are not reasonably accessible, Task 28A must be conducted instead of Task 20 and 28.