The Driving Companion
Unit 3: Task 22 - Country driving (driving at higher speeds)
(a) The learner will demonstrate accurate compliance with the 'System of Car Control', Rules of Braking, Steering and Observation (see pages 14-21) as applied to bends, crests and overtaking while driving at higher speeds; and
(b) The learner will maintain full control of the vehicle while driving at higher speeds.
The learner will demonstrate compliance with road craft concepts at least 80% of the time (see pages 14-21) and compliance with the law during the assessment without assistance
(a) Negotiating bends and crests
- (a) Comply with speed limits, road markings, keeping left and 'Due Care' requirements while maintaining reasonable progress;
- (a) Demonstrate a safe speed and position of approach to all bends and crests;
- (a) Comply with 'System of Car Control' approaching bends and crests (including selection of the correct gear before the bend or crest);
- (a) Comply with the Rules of Braking and 'acceleration sense' approaching bends and crests;
- (a) Comply with the Rules of Steering when braking and cornering;
- (a) Demonstrate good forward observation (Aim high in steering) and complies with the Rules of Observation; and
- (a) Display safe and complete control of the vehicle at all times.
(b) Overtaking other vehicles
- (b) Correctly select a safe and suitable location to overtake while complying with the law (road markings, sufficient clear view);
- (b) Maintain a reasonable following distance before overtaking in order to comply with the Rules of Observation; and
- (b) Comply with the 'System of Car Control' while overtaking using appropriate acceleration; or
- (b) If suitable overtaking situations do not occur, verbally demonstrate to the Instructor the selection of safe and suitable locations where there is sufficient distance to overtake safely.