The Driving Companion
Unit 4: Task 23 - Safe driving strategies
(a) The learner will competently maintain safe following distances, passing clearances and appropriate positioning of the vehicle for improved forward observation in medium to heavy traffic; and
(b) Demonstrate compliance with the 'System of Car Control' when approaching potential hazards in traffic.
The learner will demonstrate compliance with road craft concepts at least 80% of the time (see pages 14-21) and compliance with the law during the assessment without assistance
(a) Safe positioning of the vehicle in traffic
- (a) Keep at least 3 seconds time interval between the learner's vehicle and the vehicle in front, increasing this interval for adverse weather conditions or if being closely followed;
- (a) Keep at least 1.2 metre clearance from parked vehicles, cyclists or other vehicles when passing where safe and practicable;
- (a) Adjust the vehicle's position by holding back if the vehicle in front obstructs the view ahead (Observation - Get the big picture);
- (a) Maintain the vehicle's position in a line of traffic without obstructing following traffic where it is safe and legal to do so;
- (a) Avoid unnecessary travel in blind spots of other vehicles (Observation - Leave yourself an OUT);
- (a) Stop in a position behind other vehicles to allow sufficient space to turn away from the vehicle in front (where practicable);
- (a) Without obstructing the intersection stop in a line of traffic (road law); and
- (a) Comply with all appropriate road rules.
(b) 'System of Car Control' as applied to traffic hazards
- (b) Comply with the features of the 'System of Car Control' in the correct sequence when approaching hazards in traffic;
- (b) Comply with 'System of Car Control' when approaching traffic lights (eg. check mirror, cover the brake, etc.);
- (b) Demonstrate 'System of Car Control' when passing stationary buses or other similar hazards; and
- (b) Demonstrate 'System of Car Control' when giving way.