The Driving Companion
Unit 4: Task 24 - Lane management in traffic
(a) The learner will be able to select the appropriate lane safely and competently well in advance to maintain reasonable progress and efficient traffic flow; and
(b) The learner will be able to change lanes safely and competently in traffic while complying with the 'System of Car Control'.
The learner will demonstrate compliance with road craft concepts at least 80% of the time (see pages 14-21) and compliance with the law during the assessment without assistance
(a) Lane selection in traffic
- (a) Identify potential hazards well in advance and take safe and appropriate action (Observation - Get the Big Picture);
- (a) Confidently select safe gaps when changing lanes; and
- (a) Select suitable and timely locations when changing lanes ('System of Car Control' - select the course).
(b) Lane changing in traffic
- (b) Competently apply the 'System of Car Control' when changing from one lane to another (either left or right);
- (b) Check the appropriate blind spot just before changing lanes;
- (b) Co-operate with other drivers by accepting and giving reasonable offers of courtesy when safe; and
- (b) Change lanes in traffic only when safe without significantly interfering with the flow of traffic in the newly selected lane.