The Driving Companion
Unit 4: Task 27 - "U" turn in traffic manoeuvre
(a) The learner will be able to select a safe and suitable location on a busy road and competently perform a U-turn with safety without the need for reversing; and
(b+c) The learner will be able to choose a safer option to a U-turn where the turn may be obstructed due to changing traffic conditions.
The learner will accurately perform Parts (a) and (b), or (c) of this task without assistance. The assessment will be a demonstration on at least two consecutive but separate occasions.
(a) Selecting a safe U-turn starting position
- (a) Select a suitable position as for Task 10, steps 1(a) and 2(a);
- (a) Select a position where only one major flow of traffic is required to be crossed during the U-turn; and
- (a) Select the most appropriate position that minimises the disruption to overtaking or following traffic for that road (eg. a right turn store lane opposite a quiet road).
(b) Perform a safe and complete U-turn
- (b) Comply with all road markings, and the 'Give Way' rules for turning and moving off (as required);
- (b) Confidently select a safe gap in the traffic flow when presented;
- (b) Use safe stopping areas within the U-turn as required; and
- (b) Complete the U-turn safely without reversing while maintaining full control of the vehicle.
(c) Select a safe alternative to the U-turn due to traffic
- (c) If traffic conditions change where the U-turn could become confusing to other road users, select an acceptable safe option; and
- (c) Perform the optional action with safety.