Skip to content

My car licence

Frequently asked questions

Here's the answers to the questions we often receive about your licence.

Do my L and P rules apply if I drive interstate?
Yes, your licence conditions travel with you. So when driving interstate, you must comply with the driver's licence laws and conditions that apply in the State that issued your driver's licence.

It is also advisable that if you intend on driving interstate to check with the relevant state’s licensing authority for any further restrictions that may apply to you in their state.

Can I tow a trailer, caravan or boat on my L's or P's?
If your permit or licence was issued in South Australia, you may drive a vehicle of no more than 4.5 tonne and tow a trailer, caravan, boat or horse float as SA does not restrict learner's permit or provisional licence drivers from towing such vehicles.

In most cases your permit/licence conditions travel with you if you drive interstate, however, be aware that some rules may be different.

As mentioned above, if you intend on driving interstate it is advisable to check with the relevant state’s licensing authority for any further restrictions that may apply in their state. For example, Victoria does not allow Victorian learner permit holders to tow vehicles and also applies this prohibition to learner’s permit holders from other States whilst driving in Victoria.

For more information refer to our towing tips.

What licence do I need to ride a moped?
To ride a moped in South Australia you must hold a current R-date motorcycle learner's permit, a motorcycle licence (R-Date or R) or a driver's licence of any type (e.g. full, provisional, probationary).

Do passenger restrictions apply to drivers with L plates?
Learner's permit holders are not subject to passenger restrictions, although they must have a qualified supervising driver with them at all times. Check the rules for learner's permit here.

How much does my licence cost?
The Government fees that apply to your licence are available here.

Do I need a licence to drive a manual or automatic car?
A driver's licence issued in South Australia applies to both automatic and manual vehicles, irrelevant of what type of vehicle you passed your test in. You can legally drive either.

Can I use a Bluetooth handsfree kit while driving?
Learner's permit and provisional (P1) licence holders are banned from using any type of mobile phone function while driving. Check the road rules that apply to using a mobile phones here.

Copyright 2022 | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact us | Page ID: 155179