The Driving Companion
Unit 1: Task 1 - Cabin drill and controls
(a) The learner will be able to set up the cabin of the vehicle in order to safely, efficiently and effectively drive the vehicle (cabin drill); and
(b) The learner will be able to locate and identify all controls needed to drive the vehicle safely.
The learner will accurately perform this task without assistance.
The assessment will be a demonstration on at least two consecutive but separate occasions.
- Ensure the doors are closed (and locked for security - optional);
- Check that the handbrake is firmly applied;
- Adjust the seat, head restraint and steering wheel (as required);
- Adjust all mirrors (electric mirrors, if fitted, may be adjusted after 'starting the engine' - Task 2);
- Locate, identify and be able to use all vehicle controls (as required) when driving (including 'climate' controls);
- Fasten and correctly adjust your seatbelt; and
- Perform all steps 1 to 6 in sequence.
The learner may be asked to explain the function of one control from each of the groups below.
Group 1 (any 1)
- Steering wheel
- Gear lever (including automatics)
Group 2 (any 1)
- Clutch - (Manuals only)
- Warning device
Group 3 (any 1)
- Wipers and washers
- Warning lights (any 3)
- Vehicle lights
Tags #learners, #licence, #stages, #beginner