The Driving Companion
Unit 3: Task 15 - Vehicle road positioning
(a) The learner will safely and competently position the vehicle correctly on laned and unlaned roads in accordance with the law and safe driving practices;
(b) The learner will maintain safe following distances from other vehicles and safety margins when passing stationary objects or bicycle riders; and
(c) The learner will correctly position the vehicle when turning left or right.
The learner will demonstrate compliance with road craft concepts at least 80% of the time (The Driving Section) and compliance with the law during the assessment without assistance.
(a) Vehicle positioning on laned and unlaned roads
- (a) Keep the vehicle as near as practicable to the left on unlaned roads without unnecessarily obstructing other traffic;
- (a) Keep the vehicle wholly within the marked lane when travelling straight or in bends; and
- (a) Use the space within the lane to maintain safety margins.
(b) Maintain safe following distances and safety margins
- (b) Maintain a minimum of three (3) seconds following interval (see page 21) from the vehicle in front;
- (b) Allow a safety margin of at least 1.2 m (where practicable) when passing objects, vehicles or bicycle riders; and
- (b) Stop in a position behind other vehicles allowing sufficient space to turn away from the vehicle in front if necessary.
(c) Positioning for turns
- (c) Correctly position the vehicle at 'Stop' lines (associated with 'Stop' signs, crossings and traffic lights etc.);
- (c) Adopt correct road position at intersections when the view is obstructed; and
- (c) Demonstrate the correct approach and turn positions for turning left and right at intersections in accordance with the law.
Tags #learners, #licence, #stages, #beginner