The Driving Companion
Unit 1: Task 3 - Moving off from the kerb
The learner will be able to move off from the left kerb in a safe and efficient manner with the vehicle under full control at the first attempt.
The learner will accurately perform this task without assistance.
The assessment will be a demonstration on at least two consecutive but separate occasions.
Moving off from the kerb
- If the park brake is not applied, correctly apply it;
- Check the centre mirror, then the right mirror, then signal right for at least 5 seconds;
- Push clutch pedal down (manuals) / Right foot on footbrake (automatics);
- Select first gear (manuals) / Select 'Drive' (automatics);
- Apply appropriate power, (and for manuals) clutch to 'friction point';
- Check the centre mirror again, then the right mirror, then over the right shoulder (blind spot check) for traffic (from driveways, roads opposite and U-turning traffic);
- If safe, look forward, release the park brake;
- Accelerate smoothly away from the kerb without stalling or rolling back, and cancel the signal; and
- Perform all steps 1 to 8 in sequence.
Tags #learners, #licence, #stages, #beginner