The Driving Companion
Unit 1: Task 3 - Move off from the kerb
The learner will be able to move off from the kerb in a safe and efficient manner with the vehicle under full control at the first attempt.
The learner will accurately perform this task without assistance.
The assessment will be a demonstration on at least two consecutive but separate occasions.
- If the handbrake is not on, correctly apply it;
- Check the mirror and signal right for at least 5 seconds prior to step 7 (when intending to move off to the right);
- Push clutch pedal down (manuals) / Right foot on footbrake (automatics) until step 5;
- Select first gear (manuals) / Selects 'Drive' (automatics);
- Apply appropriate power, (and for manuals) clutch to 'friction point';
- Check the mirror again and over the right shoulder (blind spot check) for traffic;
- If safe, release the handbrake and, (for manuals only) at the same time release the clutch slowly until it is fully engaged;
- Accelerate smoothly away from the kerb without stalling or rolling back, and cancel the signal; and
- Perform all steps 1 to 8 in sequence .