The Driving Companion
Unit 1: Task 4 - Stopping and securing the vehicle
(a) The learner will bring the vehicle to a smooth and controlled stop at the left kerb from 50-60km/h with safety, without stalling and when requested; and
(b) The learner will correctly secure the vehicle to avoid rolling.
The learner will demonstrate compliance with road craft concepts at least 80% of the time (see The Driving Section) and compliance with the law during the assessment without assistance.
(a) Stopping the engine (including slowing)
- (a) Select appropriate stopping position (if intending to stop);
- (a) Check the mirror (and signal left if stopping at the left kerb);
- (a) Smoothly slow the vehicle (to just above engine idle speed) using the footbrake operated by the right foot;
- (a) (For manuals) push the clutch down just before reaching engine idle speed to prevent stalling while maintaining light pressure on the footbrake;
- (a) Bring vehicle to a smooth stop without jerking the vehicle; and
- (a) Perform all steps 1(a) to 5(a) in sequence.
(b) Securing the vehicle (to prevent rolling)
- (b) Check that the vehicle has stopped (as above) and correctly apply the handbrake to prevent rolling;
- (b) Select 'Neutral' (manuals) or 'Park' (automatics);
- (b) Release the brake pedal and then (for manuals) release the clutch;
- (b) Perform all steps 1(b) to 3(b) in sequence; and
- (b) Cancel any signal after stopping.
Tags #learners, #licence, #stages, #beginner