The Driving Companion
Unit 1: Task 6 - Gear changing
(a) The learner will be able to change gears (in either a manual or automatic vehicle) up and down in the transmission in a reasonably smooth manner without looking at the gear lever while maintaining full steering control; and
(b) The learner will be able to accurately select any appropriate gear on demand without looking at the gear lever (including automatics).
The learner will accurately perform parts (a) and (b) of this task without assistance.
The assessment will be a demonstration on at least two consecutive but separate occasions.
(a) Changing gears (up and down)
- (a) Move off smoothly from a stationary position in first gear (manuals) or 'Drive' (automatics);
- (a) Adjust the speed of the vehicle prior to selecting the new gear;
- (a) Change gears, one at a time from first gear through to the highest gear (manuals only) without clashing, missing the gear, unnecessarily jerking the vehicle OR looking at the gear lever;
- (a) Change gear from a high gear (4th, 5th or 'Drive') to various appropriate gears without significantly jerking the vehicle OR looking at the gear lever/selector; and
- (a) Demonstrate full control (including steering) over the vehicle during gear changing.
(b) Accurate selection of appropriate gears for varying speeds
- (b) Adjust the speed of the vehicle up and down and then select the appropriate gear for that speed (manuals and automatics);
- (b) When the vehicle is moving, demonstrate all gear selections without looking at the gear lever or gear selector; and
- (b) Demonstrate accurate selection of the gears without significant jerking of the vehicle or clashing of gears.