The Driving Companion
Unit 3: Task 21 - Light traffic urban driving
(a) The learner will accurately comply with the law while negotiating Emu, Koala and Wombat pedestrian crossings and school zones (where available);
(b) The learner will comply with all speed limits associated with speed zones, road works, bridges, built-up areas, schools and car parks; and
(c) The learner will demonstrate reasonable progress by keeping up with the flow of traffic when it is practicable, legal and safe.
The learner will demonstrate compliance with road craft concepts at least 80% of the time (see pages 14-21) and compliance with the law during the assessment without assistance
(a) Pedestrian crossings and school zones
- (a) Comply with the laws for pedestrian crossings and school zones; and
- (a) Accurately comply with the 'System of Car Control'.
(b) Speed limits
- (b) Comply with all speed limits in speed zones and built-up areas; and
- (b) Comply with speed limits for bridges, roadworks, schools, car parks and learner requirements.
(c) Maintain reasonable progress
- (c) Where safe and practicable, maintain a speed which is within 5 km/h of the legal speed limit but does not exceed the speed limit;
- (c) Move off in a line of traffic without any unnecessary delay or obstructing other traffic;
- (c) Decelerate but not slow excessively or stop unnecessarily at intersections where the view is open and clear, and it is safe to go; and
- (c) Maintain at least a '3 second' following distance between the vehicle in front and the learner's vehicle.