The Driving Companion
Unit 4: Task 28 - Negotiating traffic lights in traffic
(a) The learner will be able to travel straight on, turn left and right safely and competently at traffic lights (with and without arrows) in medium to heavy traffic in accordance with the 'System of Car Control'; and
(b) The learner will comply with the appropriate road laws governing the operation of traffic lights, signalling, turning, positioning the vehicle and 'Giving Way'.
(c) The learner will comply with the appropriate road laws when negotiating 'slip' lanes
The learner will demonstrate compliance with road craft concepts at least 80% of the time (see pages 14-21) and compliance with the law during the assessment without assistance
(a) Turning left and right at traffic lights
- (a) Comply with steps 1(a) to 4(a) of Task 20;
- (a) While waiting to turn right, correctly position the vehicle within the intersection when permitted by the traffic lights;
- (a) Demonstrate confident selection of safe gaps when turning into or across a traffic flow;
- (a) Display appropriate use of acceleration for safety during the turn while maintaining full control of the vehicle; and
- (a) Ensure that other vehicles are not unnecessarily obstructed when turning.
(b) Following a straight course through traffic lights
- (b) Comply with steps 1(b) to 3(b) of Task 20; and
- (b) Display correct and confident decision making on approach to traffic lights having regard for weather, road conditions and following traffic (type of vehicle and how near they are).
(c) Negotiating 'slip' lanes
- (c) Comply with steps 1(c) to 3(c) of Task 20;
- (c) Demonstrate confident selection of safe gaps when turning left through a 'slip' lane into a flow of traffic; and
- (c) Display appropriate use of acceleration for safety during and after the turn while maintaining full control of the vehicle.