The Driving Companion
Unit 1: Task 2 - Starting up and shutting down the engine
(a) The learner will be able to safely start the engine of the vehicle; and
(b) The learner will be able to safely shut down the engine of the vehicle.
The learner will accurately perform parts (a) and (b) of this task without assistance.
The assessment will be a demonstration on at least two consecutive but separate occasions.
(a) Starting the engine
- (a) If the handbrake is not on, correctly apply it;
- (a) Clutch down to the floor and keep it down (manuals only);
- (a) Check gear lever in 'Neutral' (manuals) or 'Neutral/Park' (autos);
- (a) Switch the ignition (key) to the 'ON' position;
- (a) Check all gauges and warning lights for operation;
- (a) Start the engine (without over-cranking the engine);
- (a) Check all gauges and warning lights for operation; and
- (a) Performs all steps 1(a) to 7(a) in sequence.
(b) Shutting down the engine
- (b) Bring the vehicle to a complete stop (clutch down-manual/s);
- (b) Secure the vehicle using the handbrake;
- (b) Select 'Neutral' (manuals) or 'Neutral/Park' (automatics);
- (b) Release brake pedal (to check for rolling);
- (b) Release clutch pedal (manuals only);
- (b) Switch off appropriate controls (eg. lights, air conditioner etc);
- (b) Check all gauges and warning lights for operation;
- (b) Turn ignition to 'OFF' or 'LOCK' position; and
- (b) Perform all steps 1(b) to 8(b) in sequence.